February is National Cherry Month
National Cherry Month provides opportunities to create relevant, high level, project-based curricular experiences for students of all ages. You can connect many disciplines, topics, and develop all the 21st century skills and multiple literacies through this motivational curriculum!
The first project we recommend is to have your students beautify your campus by planting some cherry trees! These trees can be a wonderful addition to your Living Schoolyard.
Disciplines you can integrate in a PBL21 curriculum:
Curriculum resources for Cherries:
- Cherry page on Wikipedia
- ChooseCherries.com has excellent resources, from health benefits such as reducing strength loos, recovering after physical exercise, and improving quality and duration of sleep. Also resources on nutrition and heart health.
- Self.com has an article with information on the nutritional value of cherries, as well as some wonderful ideas for how to obtain these nutritional benefits when cherries are not in season.
- Cherry Theme Ideas for Kids
- Cherry Fact Sheet from Utah State University
- American Institute for Cancer Research