Projects, Lesson Plans & Activities
1. A traditional or a modern celebration such as a Halloween Festival
2. Art, Film and/or Music Festival
3. Cookbook and DVD with cooking shows featuring foods from celebrations of these holidays. Foods associated with Halloween:
- Barmbrack (Ireland)
- Bonfire toffee (Britain)
- Candy apples
- Candy corn (North America)
- Caramel apples
- Caramel corn
- Colcannon (Ireland)
- Pumpkin, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Roasted sweet corn
- Soul cakes
- Novelty candy shaped like skulls, pumpkins, bats, worms, etc.
5. Haunted House
6. Day of the Dead sugar skulls on altars
7. Halloween Parade
8. Monster Dinner Theatre - have students design and deliver an actual dinner theatre experience. They would have to research everything from "dinner theatres" to health department laws on serving and selling food, to drama, budgets, advertising and marketing, and more. Get the community involved by asking for assistance with printing bills to advertise, and consultants such as chefs, radio and television stations, local university drama, theatre, RTF (Radio, Television and Film) departments, and more.
9. Mock Trial of Victor Frankenstein - use a real courtroom and judge if you can!
10. Zombie Preparedness 101
Music and Sounds
All About Halloween - very good music selection.
Halloween and Day of the Dead Resources
Day of the Dead
Excellent miscellaneous resources!
US Census Bureau - interesting facts about Halloween
LitQuotes - This literary reference site features quotations from the great works of literature. You can search for quotations in a number of different ways.
Halloween Magazine family, safety, crafts, trick-or-treat and more
Halloween on the Net - Los Dias De Los Muertos (Days of the Dead)
Scary Story Starters
SEDL - SCIMAST Classroom Compass - Cooperative Learning
Halloween History - Horror - Special Effects
4Free Halloween Animated Gifs and Graphics!
Monster Exchange - web site dedicated to developing reading and writing skills while integrating technology into the classroom.
The History of Halloween
Teach-nology - Halloween - more lesson plans and activities
Halloween lesson plans, thematic units, printable worksheets and coloring pages, games, other
Perfect Entertaining - Halloween Edition - appetizers to desserts, and everything in between!
Halloween Magazine.com - Music, Stories, Cards, Games, Recipes, Costumes, Haunts and more
Halloween Horrors - Halloween and other free e-cards,
Halloween - activities for classes - thank you to Kelly Buckley for telling us about this great resource!